Creating the "Indian Subsonic Bass Sound" Kit Part Three


Several years ago, I built my own version of Trilok Gurtu's famed Indian Subsonic Bass Sound kit, modeled after his wooden Remo and Sonor models.Trilok however, mostly uses his famous Melanie Tri-Fantom drums. 

Back in 2000, I'd searched high and low for any and all of them, but to no avail. Now, at long last, I finally got by hands on one from a chap the UK! Seems only fitting, since the original Melanie company was based there. Melanie only made these drums for just a few years in the early 1980s. 

The "Fantoms" featured a flanged, metal collar under the head, which gave the drums a unique sound. You could purchase them as either the 6", 8" and 10" "Tri-Fantoms", or a dual set of Fantoms with 12" and 14" drums. Later models even had removable plugs in the bottom bowl section to alter the sound. In the Trilok's case, he used condenser microphones, mixed with EQ, a dash of reverb, and along with his inimitable talent, produced some of the greatest sounds ever heard from those Fantoms. 


Readers of my previous two blogs, Creating the "Indian Subsonic Bass Sound" Kit Part One and Creating the "Indian Subsonic Bass Sound" Kit Part Two will recall my unsuccessful quest to find any of those Trilok kits and ultimately, my successfully custom-made, Trilok inspired kit.

Back in 2000, could only dream of getting a set of them, and now some 22 years later, I managed to come across these vintage, 1982 metal Tri-Fantoms, just like the ones used by none other than Trilok himself. As fate would have it, I was alerted to someone claiming to be selling my one-of-a-kind, 14" hexagonal, subsonic tom. After dealing with that fraudulent posting, I happened to come across the Tri-Fantoms! Could this be an omen?

At long last, I was able to purchase one of those extremely rare drums on eBay in the UK. After the Fantoms arrived, I stripped and cleaned it; Safely peeled off the original badge; Sanded it; Painted it, and added all new Remo Colortone Emperor heads. Additionally, I brought out my customized, chrome-wrapped, 12" x 5" Pearl "Firecraker" snare, the same snare I used with my original subsonic kit. 

Rarer still are the 12" and 14" Fantoms that were also briefly made in the early '80s. Not sure if I'll ever come across any of them! To substitute that unique sound with something close to it, I discovered the flat, plastic and metal Pearl Traveler toms. 

Pearl makes a 14" version which is difficult to find without buying it as an add-on with a 10" tom. Thanks once again to Thomann in Germany, I was able to get one. The Travlers come with black hoops, however I replaced it with a triple flanged, chrome, 8 lug hoop to match the rest of the kit. 

For the Pearl Traveler tom, I'm also using a Remo Muffl' Ring. It doesn't have the same characteristics as the 14" Fantom; The Fantom is metal, the Traveler is plastic for example. They both used nearly identical shapes, with the Traveler utilizing a taller built in shell. Getting the "subsonic" sound out of it wouldn't be a problem. I've spent a few years learning the right technique to both tune, mic and EQ to get that classic sound. Trilok uses a bass mic on both the 14" and the 10" toms, and a single mic split between the 8" and 6" toms. Last, but not least is the custom-made, Maple 16" x 8" kick drum with wood lacquer hoops, Gretsch Catalina lugs, and Remo Colortone and Muffl' Ring. For me, it seemed easiest to attach all the toms, kick, and snare to a Gibraltar Rack, plus any cymbals. In the end, I think I've created a pretty decent sounding "Indian Subsonic Bass Sound" Kit. Looking forward to recording and performing with this unique sounding set of drums!




 Update: I just finished adding mics to the entire kit and just as Trilok's drum tech revealed, you have to tune the heads totally slack, with only enough tension to keep the washers tight; They sound horrible, BUT, once I added the bass mics, turned up the bass EQ, turned down the mid and high EQ, and threw a little reverb on it, I was able to get that Trilok sound!





And here's a little video of the Indian Subsonic Bass Sound Kit in action...



Popular posts from this blog

Building the Phil Collins Gretsch Kit - Part One

Building Bill Bruford's Symmetrical Tama Kit

Building the Bill Bruford Signature Snare - Part One