The Zendrum ZDS Shifter


The ZDS Shifter and Darin Kadrioski
In my last two blogs, I looked at incorporating the Boss RC-300 Loop Station and the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller into my Zendrum EXP set-ups. Each have been baptized by fire in recent live performances with both Facing East and the Deep Energy Orchestra respectively. It was now time to look toward my own groups and solo performances. Enter the ZDS Shifter, the latest innovation by drummer, and programmer Darin Kadrioski. Most of us Zendrummers are already familiar with his apps for the the Zendrum; ZenEdit, his online editor for the Zendrum StompBlock, and Restomp. The ZDS Shifter, allows Zendrummers to change the MIDI notes and configuration of the Zendrum triggers with the touch of a footswitch. Like the StompBlock, the Shifter powers the Zendrum, and also features a USB port and mute function. Why was the Shifter important to me? Well, with the Boss RC-300 looper now in my arsenal, I really wanted to be able to seamlessly switch between kit sounds as well as chromatic, ethnic instruments like the Hang drum, marimbas, kalimbas and other tuned percussion, without having to take off my Zendrum to reconfigure the triggers via the User Programmer settings on the back of the Zendrum. The Shifter could change all the triggers and output the MIDI notes exactly where I wanted them, and switch back instantly.


First thing I had to do was to connect the Shifter to my MacBook Air. I plugged in the power adapter, and connected it via USB; (Although a stand alone USB powered device, it needs an adapter to power the Zendrum). So far so good, except I had one of Darin's earlier models, and the online app couldn't see it. Thankfully, I live in California, and relatively close to Darin. After a few messages and a very helpful call/tech support, I was able to download the firmware update, open and reset the Shifter, write a little code, (not for the squeamish), and voila! The online app saw the Shifter and was good to go.


Next, it was time to configure the Shifter, the Zendrum, and the MIDI note numbers I wanted to output. I'd been playing chimes, bells, vibes and marimbas with the Zendrum, as well as with my instrument, the Drummstick for some time, so I knew the scales and patterns I was comfortable with, as well as the MIDI note range I needed to work with. Although the Shifter can accommodate a multitude of settings, I basically needed only a few; One would be for my basic Zendrum drum kit set-up, and the other would be for the chromatic and tuned sounds.

Pete Lockett's DrumJam app for iPad once again came in handy. Loaded with a plethora of tuned percussion, I was able access a Hang drum, marimbas and more. It was a bit tricky to build the loops on the Boss RC-300 at first, but once I got the hang of it, I could change the kits and instruments of my choice back to my basic Zendrum configuration. The Shifter is also capable of transmitting a variety of Control Change messages, and in my case, that's CC#7, aka volume.


With the Shifter set-up complete, I put it into action right away. To test it with my Boss RC-300 looper and the ZDS Shifter, I used an idea I got from a tune featuring kanjira player Ganesh Kumar and Hang drummer John de Kadt called "Hanjira". I began by calling up the Hang drum on the DrumJam app, and looping a Hang drum groove, then tapped the Shifter to change back to the basic Zendrum kit and called up the kanjira instrument. I was able to build loops by going back and forth with both instruments.

The trickiest bit was going back and forth between the instruments, and the Shifter, but I finally got the hang of it. In the future, I can solve that issue if I want to play hands free, just by adding the Behringer FCB1010, which lets me call up any of the DrumJam instruments and kit presets with a tap of the ten foot switches.

The ZDS Shifter is a welcome addition my set-up, just when I've expanded to include loopers and more samples. There are many more features of the ZDS Shifter in addition to the aforementioned ones above, and like the Zendrum StompBlock, it's a handy USB/MIDI device to connect to your laptops filled with your favorite VST filled apps, as well as a conduit to the massive instrument libraries in Logic Pro X, Pro Tools and Ableton Live. You can learn about the ZDS Shifter, StompBlock, Restomp and Zen Edit here: https://zendrumstudio.com/





Popular posts from this blog

Building the Phil Collins Gretsch Kit - Part One

Building Bill Bruford's Symmetrical Tama Kit

Building the Bill Bruford Signature Snare - Part One